Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A step back in time

Well, Sunday was spent traveling to two of our three parishes for Mass; St Jude, in Louisa, the largest parish and St John Neumann in Hode, the second largest parish. Travel time between the two parishes was like an hour plus.

Sunday was exciting for me, it was my first Sunday preaching assignment. Boy, what a tough Gospel to preach on, at least for a novice preacher; darkness, tribulation and the coming of the Lord (Mark 13:24-32). Why could I not have had a parable or something easier to preach on for my first Sunday preaching assignment?!

Well going to St John Neumann was slightly different than St Catherine of Siena (Portage, MI) or Sacred Heart (Punta Gorda, FL) which are both very large and new churches. St John Neumann seating capacity is probably 50. The whole Church was basically constructed from gifts from various churches. The pews, the stain glass windows, the altar, the lights, and the ambo, everything inside was donated from other parishes. The folks, all 12 of them, were very friendly and welcoming to both Elaine and me. As the old organ was pounding out an ancient hymn, I had a flash back to an old movie I love. I was waiting for Sidney Poitier to come through the doors as he did in the movie Lilies of the Fields, it was great.

1 comment:

  1. Rick,

    Just think of your preaching this past Sunday as a character building experience. After you have been there for a year and move on nothing will phase you!

    I'm looking forward to hear all of your stories. Perhaps you can save all of your blog postings as a diary for the year and track your spiritual journey.

    Remember us as we remember you.

    Peace, Al

    ReplyDelete