Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Preaching, Preaching and more Preaching!




Well, as some of you may know, I have been hard at work on my Masters in Theology from Notre Dame for 6-7 years now. All the course work is done. I have to write a thesis (25 pages) and do orals next summer to defend the paper. No, Mom, I have not yet started the paper . The thesis essentially is what St Paul can teach us 2,000 years later about preaching. As some of you know, I enjoy preaching and take it pretty seriously.

Before leaving for FBAMC I had expressed with Fr. Kevin my desire to continue to preach while working with Fr Beiting. Well, I am here to say, there has been no shortage of preaching! In the two weeks I have been here, I will have preached at 6 daily Masses, 2 Sunday Masses and my first time street preaching!

Yes, that Is right street preaching. Today, Fr. Beiting and I put the speakers, mics, amplifier, and electric converter into the back of the van and went to two locations and did street preaching. What an experience that was. We opened up the van, pulled all the equipment out and just preached. Not sure I would have gotten that experience in Portage or Punta Gorda!

I simply did a history of the Pilgrim’s struggles of coming to the New World and their first Thanksgiving. I interjected how we need to be thankful for all the blessing which Christ has bestowed on us throughout my 10 minute talk. I was pretty nervous before starting, but once I got going all well great. As I have said many times in the past, once I get passed about 10 feet or so, everyone turns into a blob and I cannot see anyone any how!

2 comments:

  1. Rick, Your every MAMA's dream kid; preachin' in the street. All those years of college, years in formation to be a Deacon, and those 7 years working on your Master at ND, and this is where it got you! Well to tell the truth, if your Dad & I hadn't gotten married so young, in my time I would have been protesting and selling flowers on the street. Guess the Lord had something else in mind for me.. YOU...
    MAMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice comment you mom wrote :-).
    So you're preaching in the street, that's funny! It sure sounds like you are being kept pretty busy. Hope you get some time 'off' so you can get that paper written and in your past.

    ReplyDelete